This year marks the tenth anniversary of the WCP Cup so I thought it would be good to take a look at few of WCP Cup's highlights along the way. So here we go.
1. The 1st WCP Cup Final - No it wasn't the greatest soccer game ever played but the atmosphere for it was crazy. The old, small, boarded facility was packed to the rafters including people pressed up against the windows and hanging over the boards. It was absolutely crazy and went to that maybe there was enough support to make this tournament work.
2. Norway Beats ROI - By no means is this my favourite moment but everyone else seems to love it. Going into this game Norway were considered massive underdogs and deemed really to have no chance to win but after going up early they managed to hold on until the end and pull off the massive upset. To this day it's still whispered that some strings may have been pulled behind the scenes in order to achieve the desired result but needless to say Norway won giving hope to every underdog who's ever entered the tournament.
3. 1st Women's Final - 2007 also marked the first year that the women had their own separate side of the tournament. Until then their only option was to play on a men's team and very few did that. In an exciting final Chile triumphed over England but more importantly it showed that the women's side was there to stay. This very first expansion later help pave the way to adding all the youth divisions we have today.
4. Sudan Wins, Dancing Ensues - In 2012 a team no one had ever heard of joined the WCP Cup. They played opening night versus defending champions ROI and after taking them to the brink quickly became fan favourites (a sentiment which has since evaporated). Needless to say Sudan's play improved as the tournament continued and they went on to a very close final. More memorable than the final itself was the celebrations that ensued. I have seen teams who have won the actual world cup celebrate less and no one will ever match the dance moves put on by several of the fans.
5. Sudan - Poland Brawl - Maybe not the brightest moment in WCP Cup history but definitely the most memorable. A game that just threatened to boil over eventually did when a rash challenge sent both teams on to the pitch and havoc ensued... Upon regaining control the match was restarted and we all know what happened from there.... The game eventually was called to an end fans stared on shocked at what they had just seen.